Monday, May 30, 2011

PHANTOM PAIN

There is a medical phenomenon that is called phantom pain.  It occurs after a person has had a body part (arm, leg, finger) removed.  Phantom pain is a pain that feels like it's coming from a body part that is no longer there.  Doctors once believed this post-amputation phenomenon was a psychological problem, but experts now recognize that these real sensations originate in the spinal cord and brain. 

This weekend all of the big kids were away from home.  Craig and I decided to take the little kids to Asheville on an adventure.  We spent yesterday milling around town and the mall.  Last night we checked into a hotel and let them swim until there little hearts desired. 

The wound of losing Emma-Grace is still so new, I found myself looking around for her several times throughout the day.  Then I would remember- that part of our family is no longer here.  The words phantom pain kept coming to my mind over and over.  It feels like she should still be here, but the fact is, she is not.  In my brain I know she is no longer here.  The pain I am feeling however does not originate in the brain, but originates in the heart.

For some people phantom pain improves with time.  I often tell my patients, who have lost a loved one, that with time the pain will lighten. It may never totally go away because you will always miss having that person in your life.  However, with time the pain usually gets easier to bear.  Now, I must take my own advice.
 
Suffering was not part of God's original act of creation, but it serves as a temporary reminder of what happens in a world where God's order has been broken. Pain, whether physical or emotional, can take over our lives if we let it.  Some suffering will be relieved in this life, but all of it will be relieved when God finally establishes His new heaven and new earth. 

In the Bible it says  "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  (Revelation 21:4)  The pain I am feeling is temporary, it is not forever.  As a Christian I have to remind myself- “NOW” IS NOT FOREVER.   Heaven is forever.   

As bad as my heart aches, it is a blessing to know that Emma-Grace is already getting to experience "forever".  She is no longer sick.  She is not hooked up machines.  She is able to run, play and laugh.   Things she could not do for the last 3 months.  One day, because I am a Christian, I will be in Heaven with Emma-Grace.  There we can experience forever together.  What a wonderful thing to look forward to.  Praise God!! 

Revelation 21:4-7 (New International Version)

4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
 5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
 6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.


No comments:

Post a Comment